Monday, November 22, 2010

After changing themes in Vista, all my windows went dark?

Reading that Vista's Aero theme uses a lot of RAM, not liking the Vista Basic light blue and both Windows Classic %26amp; Standard themes are almost identical albeit the navy blue headers are a shade different, I went shopping [looking] for the XP Home theme I miss to see if there was a version download 'able' and usable in my Vista Home Premium 32 SP2. At the time I was involved with this [about 2 weeks ago] I failed to know that the XP theme I was looking for is called ';Luna';. Upon starting my search on Bing, Google, Yahoo etc., I wound up at the Vista Club and then the Windows Club where I came across a theme called XP Royal and I figured this must be it because the XP theme always had a Royal Blue header, so I downloaded the offering and it came as a .zip file thus I extracted to C:\ Windows\Resources\Themes [where the Aero folder is kept] but forgot to make a ';XP Royal'; folder so it scattered out underneath the Aero folder in individual pieces so to speak. Well, I figured wrong. This was not the theme version I was looking for. Not being a program to uninstall, I began deleting the parts to this rather large bunch of components and I believe I accidently deleted the ';msstyles'; file which was outside the Aero folder and upon exit of this location back to desktop most of my Windows System turned dark as in black windows with some icons and black message boxes and black drop windows and so on. All windows explorer windows are black with folder icons visible. There is no readable text. I can see some Internet, but the browser is black and have to search by clicking the mouse to find the corner close button. If a message window comes up such as UAC asking for permission and can't seem to find that continue button, the only recourse is restart and start menu is also dark. I can read incoming email, but when I try to reply or forward the window turns black. Completely at a standstill with how to work a 'lights out' problem, I'm writing from a public library computer and hope as in years past Yahoo Answers has fixed me and I realize that I've deleted or moved by accident an extremely critical file and can't locate it in the recycle bin to restore it because it's just black in any explorer window. I was unable to use system restore for the same reason and now the problem is approaching two weeks old. When I put the Vista disk in to effect a possible repair, the disk window is black. I hope I can get some starting ideas. Thank you.After changing themes in Vista, all my windows went dark?
Try bringing your machine up in Safe Mode or Safe Mode With Networking and repairing the problem from there.



To get into Safe Mode with Networking:



1. Log out and reboot your machine.

2. When the machine starts the reboot sequence, press the F8 key repeatedly.

3. Select Safe Mode with Networking from the resulting menu.

4. Login. If the malware has changed your password, try logging in as Administrator. By default, Administrator has no password.

5. The machine will continue booting, but the Windows desktop will look different.

6. When you're finished doing what you need to do, log out and reboot back into normal mode.



Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment