Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Trouble with the structure of my short story?

I have to write a short story for my class. I have ideas, but I can't seem to organize them. My plot is not really traditional, but I think it will work. My concern is that the story might be a little boring. I would appreciate constructive criticism and advice. Any advice is appreciated - I don't need a lengthy reply, or a response to each of my questions. I will pick a best answer. Thank you in advance!



The character is driving home (alone) when the story starts. I want to establish the situation: the character was on a trip with her friend, they went to a few cities, and now she is driving home.



I want to tell about the places she has seen and the people she has met, but I don't know how I should introduce these into the story, because they are all flashbacks.



My character is conflicted between her love for life on the road and her desire to be home. Is this enough conflict? And since the character is on her way home - therefore driving towards home with the intention of being home, etc. - is this enough for a motivation?



The climax does not happen until the last paragraph - I don't want to write any after that because I want my story to be open-ended. However, because I want to end the story with the climax, I am planning on having the character's conclusions about the trip, people she has met, and traveling in general - throughout the latter half of the story, so this may act somewhat as a resolution/final word on the journey.



I want the theme to be something along the lines of how people - despite differences - are similar everywhere, and while traveling is broadening, it also makes you realize how we're so small in a world that's so big - despite how much we think we know of the world, we know so little of it.



My one problem with this theme is that the trip is supposed to be in the USA - where the character is from. The USA is the only place I have a good grasp on, and I feel like writing about a destination that would be more ';exotic'; to my character - Asia or South America, for instance - would be a bad decision for me, because I don't know enough to write a realistic account of such places. I guess my question is this: what is your opinion about this situation? Should I change themes?



Thank you!Trouble with the structure of my short story?
You may be better off planning the journey - all the stops required for fuel and rest will punctuate the story - also landmarks and people, occurrences, all en route, can feed an element of local history into the flashbacks - how the character is reminded and so how the journey is made more pertinent because of the A, the B and what is between the two points to make it as much a part of the story....



You can use a genuine route plan and weave your story in, or use those locations you know and barely mention the connecting highways %26amp; by-ways, except to say they are based on an actually mapped route.



All the characters have to do when there's so little to say is take in the sights, turn on the radio, doze off during shifts at the wheel etc.



Some of it is bound to seem like it's writing itself, just as other parts could seem like a chapter in the making and be something around a sentence to a paragraph long in the preferred definitive...





To gently put the needle on the record - the first flashback could be taking place during a moment in a diner - a pleasing sensation of motionlessness, fullness after eating and tiredness as simply attended as walking 50 yards and letting herself into a motel room, gives rise to the first - so there's no danger, just a waitress with more coffee to snap her out of it.



Another flashback can take place at the traffic lights - so not setting off because of the reverie could cause drivers behind to sound their horns...



Another flashback absorbing the character causes a near miss - here a decision is made while still elevated into life preserving mode.



A final flashback suggests closure, the right path taken, with a twist - it's the best possible outcome, but it absolutely required all the flashbacks, specifically causing a run in with the maker and the geographical knowledge you have of the area.Trouble with the structure of my short story?
Thank you for choosing my answer :) I am pleased to receive a high rating too.



All the best

Christian

Report Abuse


The plot itself actually doesn't sound that bad, if you can mix in interesting stories that relate to your theme. The theme is okay, if you can work well with it, don't change it. And also, unless you're willing to devote a TON of time towards researching, don't write about exotic places.



As for introducing the stories, I think you should have the main character tell them to her friend, as to pass the time.



The part you should improve most upon is the character's motivation and the conflict: why do they prefer life on the road rather than going home? What are the benefits of traveling rather than going home and vice versa? Is it because she has troubles at home, or because she just loves exploring the world and doesn't want to be confined to her home?



Anyhow, once you get the motivation settled out, I think your story should be pretty good. Good luck on your writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment